Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Put the "Fun" in "Fundraising"

So, one night over dinner (and drinks....as will become obvious as you read this) a brainchild was BORN.  I can not, and will not take full credit.  There were other great (sick?) minds at work on this one.  This event could raise money...encourage exercise...and let us eat and drink to our hearts desire while simultaneously promoting exercise and portion control.  Yes....I know...it sounds like the perfect storm.  And after two glasses of wine, it was SHEER GENIUS and we were ready to start silk screening t-shirts for the event.  Yep....the "Fast Food Crawl".

The basic idea being a group of us park at a starting point in town and walk, bike, run, crawl, whatever... to hit all our favorite fast food hot spots.  For instance, we might walk to Burger King to grab a bfast sandwich, then on down Parrish Ave. to Lic's Ice Cream, Koehler's Bakery, McD's (to rehydrate with those great $1 drinks), Big Dipper, THEN hit the Greenbelt and walk to the MAIN food street in town.  Think of the possibilities on Frederica Street?!?!?  Olive Garden, Applebee's, Chick-fil-A, Panera, Arby's, Great Harvest, Pizzaroma, Zaxby's, Coldstone Creamery, Texas Roadhouse....on and on...until we end our Crawl at the Waffle House as all good late-nighters end (because between all the laughter, bloatedness, and side stitches this WILL take all night!).  We ARE the fast food capital of the world and all.  TAKE ADVANTAGE, PEOPLE! 

Let's examine the POSITIVE messages being sent from such an event:

#1.  We'd be WALKING (or jogging, biking) so physical activity is a huge portion of this effort.

#2.  When eating THAT many different places...one muse use portion control.  For instance, we can't ALL eat a double cheeseburger at the Dipper, that would sort of end the trip for most all involved....a few people who are the "foodies" of that joint can order a couple items and then everyone gets a TASTE.  NOT eat the entire item themselves!  Excellent message to children everywhere:  you can SHARE your food, get a small taste, and still feel fullfilled.

#3.  We could print shirts and advertise the event...open to all...any entry fees or shirt purchases could benefit local food banks.  I KNOW local businesses would be lobbying for a bunch of sweaty ladies to come a-strolling into their restaurant wearing THEIR restaurant's logo on shirts.  What better advertising?  I mean, people are will to walk across the TOWN to eat your food!  Sweet!

#4.  Commaraderie....I mean, when do girls get together and do something THIS silly?  OK, other than Bunco every month.  BUT, this is for CHARITY.  Hence, a much better cause than "I just need to get away from my crazy kids."

I personally would like to lobby for the Junior League of Owensboro to sponsor this event.  I can say this because I am not a member....and don't plan on ever becoming a member....but, let's just say, if JLO buys into THIS as a good example of  "teaching children exercise and portion control", well then I may be forced to review my stance on joining!!!!!  I need to be around more people that think like me, certainly!

Other fundraising ideas?  My neighbor who makes fun of us "runners" has insisted for years that he is going to host a "1K" named after himself (I think the main road we live on is about 1 K down and back).  He has a FANTASTIC and actual REAL charity to donate toward.  I have tried to also encourage this.  But we have discussed and agreed that a few things must happen....at the half-K mark, you must stop and CARB UP.  Beer or goo packs and lots of water before finishing.  The finish line would definitely include a keg on the other side and a buffet from Moonlite BBQ....mac and cheese, corn bread, whole 9 yards.  Since our neighborhood is not huge and MOST people in the hood are active, I think everyone would be IN LIKE FLYNN and we wouldn't even have to CLOSE any city streets to do this.  Seriously?  A hilariously funny short run, with funny people, and drinks at the end...plus, money to worthy charity?  Another perfect storm.

Maybe there are organizations here in the 'boro that need fundraising ideas?  OBVIOUSLY, I need to be a go-to person for them.  I have a huge team of people around me that actually (scarily) think LIKE me.  Sooooo pick up your forks people and tie on those running shoes....I see a "fun"draiser in our future!!!!!!!!

Have a great day, all!
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I will actually come back to town to participate in this event!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please can we have a contest for the best t-shirt design for these events? I know some great screenprinters and artists, and goodness knows that most of us have the creativity. (Most of us also would do anything for a cool t-shirt)!

    ReplyDelete