Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Little Things

I am a southern girl...born and raised.  I know the importance of the little things.  You know... saying "please" and "thank you"... using the term "bless her heart" ANY time that you use a deragatory term aimed at another person (because EVEYONE knows that saying "bless her heart" totally erases all the negativity out of your statement)...and the seriousness of writing "thank you" notes.  I am not sure at what point I because obsessed with the idea of writing personal thank you notes for all gifts received.  Maybe after I was a junior hostess at charity ball?  Maybe earlier in life than that? But, I VIVIDLY remember even writing my mom and dad thank you notes for Christmas and bday gifts.  I am pretty sure that even my mom found it a bit weird to get a thank you note from her 16 year old daughter...but it was just IN me!

Confession: I have started dropping the ball these past few years on the thank you notes.  I still sent them...but with 3 children, I would hover over those old enough to write the notes and dictate (or let them ramble as they wanted) and then throw in a line or two at the end about how "mommy and daddy" loved their gifts as well.  So honestly...the truth is...that for the first time in MANY YEARS...I sent no thank you notes for Christmas gifts this year.  Yep..that is pretty crappy....being from the South and all...and KNOWING it is the right thing to do.

I mean, really, the biggest slap in the face is that I LIKE writing.  I love writing, actually...hence the blog and all.  I find writing cathartic...personal...you can say things that you find it harder to say in person...writing is a lost art.  And one of my favorite things of all time is getting a handwritten note in the mail.  A text, email, or even a phone call is nice...but a handwritten note?  That takes time..effort..thought..and postage :)  I am NOT proud of myself for dropping the ball on the whole thank you note issue...having small kids is NO excuse.

So, this got me to thinking in general about writing notes.  I think it would be awesome to spend some time over the next year writing notes to people in my life -- just notes of thanks, acknowledgement, friendship. Unexpected notes.  I think of all the family and friends in my life that deserve to know my love for them... but not just them.  I think you have the potential to really to make the day of your children's teachers, janitors at the school, doctors that have helped you, the owners/managers/waiters at your favorite restaurant, anyone who has made your life easier....can you imagine how uplifting and unexpected your note would be?  You could literally make someone's day. 

Now, don't be sitting around waiting for my note in the mail.  This is just a GOAL for me.  I would LIKE to try to start writing to more people in my life...I want others to know what they mean to me.  It's a goal...just that....a goal for me to start writing notes more often.  But, a word to the wise..don't hold your breath.  It IS the best laid plans of mice and men and all :-)

Happy Day to you all!  Spend just a second to write or speak to others and let them know exactly that they mean to you!
xoxo Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment