Monday, August 20, 2012

Technology scares me...

So, let's get this straight...I am old.  37 at the end of this month. 3 kids in.  Old.  But I have come to terms that I am scared to death of  technology.

OBVIOUSLY I am not scared about technology as far as I am concerned..,hello Facebook, blog, and twitter.  But I  am pertrified as to how technology with affect my children. Let's break down my fears:

1.  I am unsure that most kids realize what they write on the internet is fair game.  It can be taken the wrong way.  It can hurt other's feelings.  It can cause a  sh*tstorm.  I was a teen once...I get it...you FEEL invincible, but you are not.  And I know as a parent that struggles not to "helicopter" that all I can do is steer my kids clear of social media for as long as possible...teach them how to lock down their privacy setting...and talk to the about how words are just as hurtful as fists.  Do unto others.  It is a lesson hard learned but one that must be passed onto the kids.  Even if I have to site my own shortcomings.

2. Imagine 1993 (those old enough), I head off to UK.  These are the days before cellphones were ANY sort of standard... Email. Not even a personal aol account until junior year in  college.   UK didn't even offer student accounts until my senior year, I think.  The fact that I learned how to use power point at college was EPIC at my first job interview,  Today?  Students head off college with a trail of info behind them.  They have NO chance to erase that past and move forward.  When they head off to college, there is a good chance that both amazing and awful(probably untrue)  info is following them on FB or twitter.  It makes me sad.  EVERYONE deserves the chance to find themselves/reinvent themselves in a new surrounding with new people.  College is the beginning to of the rest of your life!  It makes me sad that young people today head AWAY to college with a past. Boo!!!!!!!!  I mean, i was the only person on my floor in the Theta house with a computer if you only knew how many nights/early mornings I awoke to my sweet sisters typing/printing term papers. Good times:) Blissfully ignorant, happy times.

3. There is just no way to stop the forward movement of technology...but please God help my kids know how to use it appropriately. To know what is appropriate to post...to not post...to say....to not say.  Help them Not be the brunt of abuse of others...and most importantly, help them turn the other cheek and forgive when forgiveness is deserved.

Think about what you post/tweet/blog...think about those on the receiving end!

Xoxo Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment